Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Bittersweet

June 26, 2007

Gabriella is loving life with her Dad. I, personally, have already checked out two poop video clips. Stew really is hoarding quite the collection of blackmail material for G. If I could figure out how to post video clips on here, I'd do it. I'm not sure what's cuter -- Gabriella or Stew's narration. So that's the sweet part.

The bitter part is the fact that Grandma really is gone. Although my mom and I had the standard mother/daughter spats (with increasing intensity as the weeks progessed), the Grandmother/granddaughter relationship was an entirely new thing for me to witness. Even if we fought, I never loved my mom more than when I saw her loving my daughter. I was pretty lucky that our parenting styles were similar, so there weren't many conflicts on how to raise her (except the nightly, "She wants the bottle, Michelle"- not the breast- argument,) but other than that, we were really on the same page.

It gave me some time to reflect on my relationship with my Grandmother-figure growing up, Jane Basse (hence Gabriella Jane). I was able to share things with my Grandma Jane that I couldn't share with anyone else. And, as my mom recently told me, my Grandma never revealed any of these little secret conversations. Jane passed away about a year and half ago and I'm actually still not ready to talk more about her. I just know that I loved her very much and I hope that my daughter can have that same experience with my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You do not have to join GOOGLE to leave us a message. Simply type in your message and your name! (Unclick where it says "Google User" or whatever...)